Friday, April 8, 2011

A little background

Well let me introduce my self, my name is Christina and I'm a 37 year old mother of 6 kids ranging in age from 20 years to 1 year; 3 girls and then 3 boys in that order. My husband Chris and I moved to UT almost 5 years ago from CA so he could return to school. I absolutely love living and raising my kids here.
I can remember coming home from kindergarten as a child to my mom waiting on the porch with a pacifier. I think I was finally 6 years old when I stopped using it, and probably got rid of it myself...because I think my mom would have liked to have "corked me" well into my 20's.
Using the pacifier for so long caused my jaw to grow around the shape of the pacifier. I now have an upper jaw that is over grown and grows downward in the back and my lower jaw is under developed and I have a very deficient chin. All the orthodontists in my past would immediately send me to an Oral Surgeon who would scare the crap out of me telling me about multiple surgeries that required cutting my jaw in numerous places, inserting implants, and all sorts of torture devices. Well that always put an end to the idea of braces...at least until I was so sick and embarrassed by my appearance I'd go ask again. Well I never did get around to it out of fear; that is until now.
I took my eldest 2 daughter into an orthodontist almost 4 years ago for braces at which time he begged me for a chance to try and correct my bite. I agreed and 4 years later I'm still in braces and with much improvement in the appearance of my teeth, but at the end of the road for treating me with orthodontics for my jaw. So once again I found my self at an oral surgeons office and this time with the support and encouragement of my husband, kids and mother (who lives with us) I have agreed to go through with it. My surgery has been scheduled for this coming Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment